AMCO saves a life in Preston - video interview


Posted: 4th February 2012

Just before Christmas one of our customers (let's call him Mr A) based in Preston got in touch with us to tell us that we'd saved his life - after he suffered a diabetes attack.  The quick version of the story is that after Mr A returned home, he went into his front room and turned on his heater to warm up.  Whilst he was doing this, Mr A suffered a hypo-glycemic attack which rendered him incapacitated and slumped next to the fire resulting in the fire setting the rug alight.  Thankfully, his AMCO monitored alarm was activated by the smoke.  Within seconds our monitoring staff were listening and talking into the property via a speaker / microphone unit - identifying there was an emergency situation we called the fire and ambulance services - who were at the house in minutes, saving his life! To find out more about what happened, we did a quick film interview with Mr A who talked us through his ordeal and how AMCO's alarm saved his life.  Watch the full story here: Mr A, also kindly sent us an email explaining what happened in his own words, and said we could republish it to share it wider with the world.  Here's what Mr A said in his words: Re- ‘Life saving fire & ambulance services alert on 1/12/11 Having returned from the local leisure centre on a cold evening and with unbeknown low blood sugar (I have had IDDM type 1 for over 30 years and now experience diminished awareness of impending hypoglycaemic states). I managed to disarm the security alarm in order to enter my house and turned a halogen heater on in my front room. I began trying to make a phone call whilst sat close to the heater. Within minutes I was rolling about on the floor having fallen into a quite severe hypoglycaemic state. I think this was exacerbated by my previous workout at the leisure centre. Normally the halogen safety ‘cut off’ should have turned the heater off when I fell but the fire service believe a thick rug had prevented this. Quite possibly I may have actually been holding the rug against the ‘cut off’ switch. In these low blood sugar states whilst I can usually retain some awareness my actions can be totally incapacitated. The heating elements began scorching the thick rug and within just minutes the AMCO smoke alarm (located upstairs on the landing) must have been triggered. Though my mind during this episode was a blur I realised that the house had filled with a dozen or more people. i.e the ambulance and fire brigade services. The whole incident from me returning to my house and been taken to the hospital took less than 30 minutes. As previously stated my incapacitation during hypoglcaemic attacks meant that without the prompt actions of monitoring service intervention, despite whatever alarms had been sounding, it was unlikely that the emergency services would have been notified. I am truly indebted to AMCO monitoring service. I hope the above can be used to promote public awareness of what to me has proven to be a highly commendable service. If I can provide any further explanation please let me know. Yours sincerely, Mr. A [full name not disclosed] ------------ For more information on how you can get an AMCO immediate response system installed, check out ourinformation site.